Where do all the calculators go?

Random musings from a grunt.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

I'm a miscellaneous weirdo trying to connect with fellow weirdos. Feel free to throw in your two cents. Even argue with me if you like, but make it good - or at least funny.

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Viva la crappy economy

I'm going to take a moment here to be small minded and selfish. All this kerfuffle about the fall of the economy isn't exactly bringing me to tears. I don't feel we're going to fall too much further, and we've been far worse off before without the country falling down around our ears. What it means in the immediate, is that we'll be pretty much back to where we were when I was a penniless student (instead of a penniless employee). The AUD wasn't looking too good then, either. Then the economy became (*cough*) 'good', and the shitty bit of money I had increased noticably, though buying me about half of what the lesser amount had bought me before. I've spent many a year with a half-empty belly since Howard got (*cough*) 'elected'.

The drop in economy is bad for bigwigs. People are poor - horribly poor. Horribly poor people don't buy things. Businesses have to look at that and think 'wow, people don't want to buy our shit with the 492% mark-up on it... I wonder why'. Then they think 'oh yeah, a loaf of bread is $5 these days, and all our customers only have $1.50 in their pockets'. The follow up from that is 'fine, I guess we'll have to make do with a 278% mark-up until these f***ers start bringing more money with them'. Long story short, a shitty economy is better for poor people. Okay, unemployment goes up, but how many people are getting by on 12 hours a week, shared with whatever they can get from Centrelink? Where they're concerned, you're financially better off being completely unemployed. (In my case, I long since decided living on sod all hours a week, though nigh impossible, beats ten shades of shit out of reporting every work hour, job applied for and bowel movement to Centrelink.)

So far what we have seen is a drop in the cost of fuel and housing, two things which have been so far out of reach of people like me it isn't funny. My pathetic fuel budget hasn't been swallowed up half way through the week since our economy stopped being 'good'. People in the same shitty job as me are overjoyed that they have a prayer of buying houses. Screw big business. Viva la crappy economy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home